Rallying – How to Select the Right Troops
Deciding which troop types to use can be a very tough decision. Ultimately it determines how you set your skill tree, which gear you craft, and which battles you are useful in. The three troop types are Normal, Strategic, and Wild. In the past we’ve done comparisons about how normal and strategic troops compare, but now that Wild troops are in the game we need to cover all of their behavior together. With Strategic vs. Normal, it was clear that strategic were more powerful so many stopped training Normal troops all together. However, Wild troops are weak to Normal troops, so now they are relevant again.
The following tests were done by gowcraft and provide a great look at the effectiveness of different troop types, and what you results you can expect.
Everyone knows about the Strong Against Circle between the 3 different troop types, but Wild troops have their own “strong against circle” that you need to understand.
- Wild troops hit Normal and Strategic troops equally hard.
- Wild troops hit other Wild troops very softly.
- Normal troops hit Wild troops super hard. This is the most powerful attack in the game right now.
- Normal troops are weak against other Normal troops and Strategic troops.
- Strategic troops hit Normal and Strategic troops equally hard, they hit Wild troops weaker than Normal do, and they hit Wild troops harder than Wild troops hit themselves.
To simplify: Normal > Wild > Strategic > Normal. Yet, Wild troops hit Normal troops harder than Strategic do.
Test Procedures and Results
Test 1: Wild Troops Attacking
Equal numbers of each troop type were on a tile, then 200k Valkyries (T4 Wild Infantry) were sent to attack them.
- The exact same number of Normal and Strategic troops were killed. So, Wild troops do equal damage to Normal and Strategic troops.
- 200k Valkyries killed 63,110 Cataphracts / War Elephants, while 200k Marksmen killed 89,050 Valkyries. So, normal troops do more damage to Wild troops than Wild deal to Normal / Strategic.
- 200k Valkyries killed twice as many Cataphracts / Elephants than Juggernauts. So, Wild troops are more than twice strong against Normal and Strategic troops, than Wild is against themselves.
Test 2: Attacking with Split Armies
100k Infantry of each troop type attacked a tile with 300k troops of inf, rang, cav of each troop type.
- Trial 1: The differentials tell you that Wild troops are about 28% stronger Strategic troops when hitting Normal, but you’ll lose more Wild troops than you will Strategic.
- Trial 2: Wild troops dealt the most damage to Strategic and Normal troops, but took the most damage as well.
- Trial 3: Evenly split defense with all troop types does the same amount of defense when attacked by any 100k of any troop type.
- Trial 4: Normal troops do the most damage to Wild heavy defense, but take the same losses as Strategic.
When hitting a target and expecting to lose all your troops:
- If the defender has mostly Wild, send Normal.
- If the defender has mostly Normal, send Wild.
When hitting a target you expect to burn:
- If the defender has mostly Wild troops, send Normal.
- If the defender has mostly Normal, send Strategic (because you’ll lose less troops – see test 2, trial 1) .
Only send Strategic if you are expecting to get troops back, or don’t know their army composition.